11 August 2009

Leviticus 22

This chapter deals with both the animals that are acceptable for sacrifice and the guidelines that were put in place concerning the eating of the priest’s share of the sacrifice. When the sacrifice was brought to the priests a portion was given to them, kind of like pay. Since the priests only job was to serve in the temple they had to “earn a living” and thus they were given some of the sacrifice.

What is of specific importance in this chapter is found in verses 31 – 33, “Carefully obey my commands, I am the LORD. Never dishonor my holy name. I will show my holiness among the Israelites. I am the LORD, who sets you apart as holy. I brought you out of Egypt to be your God. I am the LORD.”

Application
Look at these verses what do you see. I see that we are to carefully to obey God’s commands. We are not to dishonor his name. He will show his holiness. He sets the Israelites apart as holy. He brought them out of Egypt. Notice that it is about God not about us. We are part of his plan but our holiness does not come from our ability but from God. He sets us apart and thus we are not to dishonor his name. It is not of our own accord that we are saved but God brings us out of our sinful nature.

It is not about us. It is about Him. I don’t think it can be said enough. We are to be set apart and to be holy as he is holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment